During our investigations we came across the following manuscript, prepared in 1992 by an unknown author.
The St. Andrew’s Anglican Church of the Apostle St. Andrew was built in the year l833. The church was originally sited in Marquis the then town in the days of Julien Fedon. Englishmen and slaves built the church. It is located on an estate, which at that time was owned mostly by Anglicans, who contributed to the building.
The church can hold a maximum capacity of approximately 500. In 1983 some restoration work was done for the 150th Anniversary when a complete resurfacing of the walls was done and a covering was placed over the altar area. Mr. J. P. Fletcher refurbished the porch to the right of the church in 1981.
The church is approximately 98ft long and 30 ft. wide. It will be celebrating 159 years old this year.
The church is made of concrete, board, wood, iron and clay slates. The roof is of clay to the outside while the inside rafters and uprights are made of cedar and pitch pine. The roof is of the shape of a triangle.
The flooring is made of concrete slabs, pure concrete and black and white marble tiles. The slabs are found to the extreme sides perpendicular to the walls of the church. The pure concrete occupies the area underneath the pews and the marble tiles contribute in forming the aisle and towards the centre of the church leading from the aisle into the vestry and the right entrance is also a walkway of marble tiles. These occupy an area of about 440 sq.ft.
The pews are made of oak and are almost 10 ft. long and can hold about 8 to 10 persons. There are thirty-five pews. To the right there are 19 and to thee left 16. In days gone by, these pews were rented by families for services. Also upstairs there are about 10 seats, which are used mainly around Easter, Christmas or a large funeral or church service.
Inside of the church is very interesting. There are tablets on the walls in memory of loved ones and other important peoples who have gone to the great beyond. There are 7 of these tablets end they date way beck as the mid 1800’s. The candlesticks are also in memory of loved ones e.g. George Sharpe and Ishmael Ignatius Humphrey who died between 1888 and 1933. These candlesticks are made of brass hut glitters like gold when cleaned for mass.
Other important places in the church are as follows:
The Font which is used for Holy Baptism and was presented to the church by Clement J Bertrand in loving memory of his father Joseph Bertrand who departed this life on December 25th 1894. The Font is made of clay and is in the shape of an octagon.
The Lectern is an Eagle with widespread wings on a pillar all of which is made of brass. The pillar itself stands on three legs. A piece of board towards the front completes the Lectern, The Lectern was dedicated to the glory of God and in loving memory of Lieutenant N.W. Seton Browne (M.I.D) 2nd Battalion of the Leicestershire regiment and of Dunfermline in this parish, who fell at the head of his men on the night of November 23/24th, 1914 in the recapture of a trench taken by the Germans.
The Pulpit is located at the front left of the church and is made of carved designed mahogany wood with four wooden stairs. It is overlooked by a cross with the dying Savior on it. Eight small posts divide it into six small sections, designed in the form of an arch. The top of the Pulpit is engraved with fruits and flowers while the bottom carries the words: “Blessed are they that hear the words of the Lord and keep it”
The Altar where the majority of the church activity is carried out during mass is made from mahogany and is covered with white drapes, which is the symbol of purity. To the front is inscribed these words “Jesus said this: Do it in remembrance of me” At the top and to the bottom are some designs and engravings one of which is a chalice with grapes and the other a cross. The floor surrounding the Altar is covered with marble decorative tiles, which is also used for the rise on which the Altar stands. A chair is on either sides of the Altar along with a very large candle to the left. This place is overlooked with a painting of Jesus on the seashore speaking to the fishermen who are tending their nets beautifully done by Mr. Gordon Hamilton. On both sides of the painting on a sill of the window spacing are flowerpots with beautiful flowers.
To the front of the altar, the floor is covered with red carpet, which continues down the aisle to the entrance door of the church. There is also a wooden railing on both sides, which is used for communion. Wooden seats on the aides are used for accommodating the Church choir. The roof of the area hangs a large wooden cross and to the front is a chandelier.
Music for mass comes from a very large electrical piano and also a smaller one when there is no current. These musical instruments are made of mahogany and are usually covered with plastic when not in use. Each has a tiny stool for the player to sit on.
The church is completed with windows and doors made of wood and glass, potted plants, a notice board and wall hangings.
Outside of the church are lovely, graceful palm trees, which enhance the overall beauty. There are beautiful flowers with our national flower, the bougainvillea forming a beautiful hedge. There is also a hedge of croton, a brick wall, a wooden cross and cast iron forming a frontal barrier with an iron gate to complete it.
Looking from the outside of the church, the view of the lovely surrounding and the peace and charms it entails, one is always tempted to enter and discover the inner beauty. That place is really appealing.